Friday, March 27, 2009

AT&T and Copyrights

Furthering a trend in online copyrights enforcement, AT&T announced yesterday that it has struck an accord with the RIAA in a self-policing policy. I'm not surprised to see this measure gaining traction. The large sum law suits the RIAA has filed over the past decade have not only failed to deter illegal downloads, they have been a public relations nightmare. While I doubt the new plans will be effective without proper incentive, (the article hints there is not any quid-pro-quo between AT&T and the RIAA) I at least think it will be more effective and far less objectionable. But, it again broaches the issues of internet privacy I posted earlier. If the Congress does pass a bill legislating privacy, I'd be interested to see if there's some sort of protection for ISPs to monitor file sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment