Thursday, March 5, 2009

NPR's foot fetish troubles

Two weeks ago, NPR caught some heat from its listeners about a segment that contained graphic descriptions of a man with a foot fetish and other abnormal sexual desires. The enraged listeners called in with complaints about the program, and demanded that a warning be played before any such segments to, as the old refrain goes, protect the children.

This goes back to the original debate in the late 1990's when Congress decided to institute the TV Parental Guidelines. Under the original rules news and sports programs were exempt from these guidelines. But it does raise two interesting points I've been wondering about. Whether content should be subject to these parental guidelines and to what extent they are effective.

First I think that the idea of the parental warnings have wholly backfired. The hysteria over violent video games (2000's) graphic television (1990s) and irreverent heavy metal lyrics (1980's) has not stopped growth in these industries. Arguably, warning labels that have been affixed to these products have promoted their sale, rather than deterred it.

That being said, providing guidelines to consumers is not necessarily a bad idea, nor do I think it rises to the level of censorship. Much like with FDA mandated nutrition facts on breakfast cereal and other processed foods, I believe consumers have a right to a fair warning of what they are purchasing. So, I don't think it was unreasonable to ask NPR for a clearly worded warning about the content of the show. However, I do wonder about such a warning's effectiveness. I myself am a station surfer. If I don't like something, I switch to a new station.

The likelihood that I would hear such a warning before I turned on a segment is very remote. Furthermore, like with albums, it is difficult to tell what constitutes graphic material. Thrash metal band Slayer's 2001 album "God Hates Us All" bares the same parental advisory sticker that has been affixed to a Justin Timberlake album. But, despite it's probable lack of effectiveness I think NPR could cover its bases by simply providing a 5 second warning prior to airing any further racy segments.

No comments:

Post a Comment